Tips for Mini Sessions
How to Prepare for an Awesome Mini Photo Session
TIME: Mini sessions go much quicker than a typical session, so it's best to be prepared ahead of time. 30 minutes doesn't leave much wiggle room, so it helps to make sure kiddos are fed, have had some awesome nap time, snuggles, qt with mom & dad, and all that good stuff before the session. I'm not above bribery! Non-messy treats can work wonders (gummy bears, mini marshmallows.) Let's let them be themselves and have a good time. We want to let their personalities shine because it will make the photos shine too!
ATTITUDE: Let's have fun! If you're having fun with the kids and are comfortable, they will follow your lead. Confidence is key! Which brings us to...
WHAT TO WEAR: Wear something you feel awesome in. Same goes for the kids. If everyone is comfortable and loving their outfits then everyone will have a great experience. If the kids are older, try letting them have a choice when it comes to their outfits. The more in control they feel, the better attitude they will have about the whole experience.
This is the most common question I get asked.
Here are a few tips!
1. Start with 1 outfit. It's easy to get overwhelmed when trying to plan everyone's outfits. I find that it's easier to start with myself, since I am the one doing the shopping! If you have 1 piece you love or you are out shopping and find one, coordinate everyone else's outfits around that piece.
2. Stick to a color palette. I am a big fan of neutrals and light and airy color palettes. For Fall I love warmer colors mixed in like rust and mustard. Find a color palette you love and run with it.
3. Don't dress anyone exactly the same. Trust me on this. Coordinating is the best way to go! Choose complimentary colors as opposed to matching. Have fun and add in an unexpected pop of pattern or color to someone's outfit.
4. Avoid clothing with logos. This will make your photos timeless.
5. Layers, texture, and accessories are an awesome way to add interest to your look!
Pinterest Outfit Inspiration Board ---> What to Wear | Family Photos
HAIR & MAKEUP: Moms - I recommend getting professional hair and makeup done for every session. This helps you feel a little more ‘done-up’ for the shoot and boosts your confidence. I’m not saying you must do this AT ALL!! However, what I can say is that in my experience, ladies want to feel pretty and confident...and sometimes spending a little extra time getting ready achieves just that. Please let me know if you need a recommendation!
LOCATION: Please arrive at least 10 minutes early to get situated, let the kids get some wiggles out, and relax for a minute before we begin our session. Please keep in mind that we do some standing and some seated poses. Bring a blanket that coordinates with your look for posing variety!
I hope you found this helpful & I cannot wait to photograph your beautiful families!